Your Local Bike Shop
Team Active was born in May, 1986 under a different name – Wood Team III – when founder and Jackson, MI native Mike Wood arrived from Oklahoma State University with a marketing degree and a budding professional triathlon career. “I knew that if I put the same effort and intensity into this business that I’d put into my running and triathlon career, I would be just as successful.” After earning 12 varsity letters in cross-country, indoor and outdoor track, and earning All-American honors, it was a promising philosophy.
October 1, 1992, we left our 20th St. location and opened at our current location at 22 W. Michigan Ave. in downtown Battle Creek. After 32 years, Wood has demonstrated that his philosophy has paid off: a successful business, 3 amazing kids, 4 grandkids, and a beautiful wife. “We have been very blessed to be a part of the community and serve our customers with the brand of excellence that has continued to raise the bar.”
Fun Facts about Team Active
- The original mural on the back wall of our store featured a mountain biker named “Floyd Allen” who appeared to be breaking out of the wall wearing a Giro helmet and Oakley sunglasses!
- Can you name all five bike dogs throughout Team Active’s history? Roxeanne, Tralfaz, Locutus, Louie, and the current bike dog, Betty!
- Here are some of the Team Active alum and regulars who have gone on to make history!
- Chris Baldwin went to the cycling world championships and was on the national team! Chris was a kid who just hung out at the shop till we hired him, and who went on to race all over Europe and the United States along with his pro bike-racer wife, Kimberly! They reside in Boulder, CO today where Chris trains elite athletes.
- Wendy Ingraham, one of the athletes we helped along the way, has been featured on the cover of Triathlon magazine and was an Ironman runner-up in Hawaii. Wendy lives in California with her husband and daughter. Mom, Jintzy, stops in between her world travels to say hi.
- Mike’s brother, Rob Wood, was on two world championship teams for triathlon! Rob was also part of a Mt. Everest expedition in the 90s, and was roommates and training partners with Tim and Tony DeBoom and Chuckie V during
- the 90s.
- Ultra Endurance athlete, Kathy Hughes, known for her Ironman achievements (was profiled on national TV), her adventure racing career, and most recently, her Race Across AMerica (RAAM) races have been intricately tied to Team Active. She even met her husband, Eric, our mechanic and a great athlete, at the shop!
- Please remind us of the many others we missed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Browse Our Bike Selection
Find your dream bike today and visit us for a test ride. We'll ensure that you're on the right bike to meet your needs and the right frame size for a comfortable, safe cycling experience.